Russell I. Shapiro
Partner and Transactional Department Chair
Russell Shapiro is a member of the firm’s Corporate Group, an area in which he has practiced for his entire career, focusing in particular on mergers and acquisitions. Russell's industry insight and his clients' diverse business objectives have shown him that every transaction demands its own solutions. As a result, he is committed to listening to his clients, understanding their business, and designing transactions to meet their specific strategic goals. Russell’s more than three decades of successful practice in this area have allowed him to serve as an expert witness in merger disputes.
Russell's insight on tax and finance issues is deepened considerably by his status as a certified public accountant, giving him a nuanced understanding of his clients' needs and the ability to craft the most effective tax and finance strategies. Russell’s background has led him to develop especially deep experience representing accounting firms, where he regularly assists with partnership agreements, mergers and acquisitions, and the enforcement of restrictive covenants. He performs similar work for other professional services firms, including law firms, consulting firms and investment banks.
In the last several years, Russell has worked on a number of nationally recognized accounting firm mergers, including Marks Paneth and CBIZ; Berdon and Citrin Cooperman; Lurie and EisnerAmper; Baker Tilly and Henry+Horne; and Aprio and Aronson, and many others. Russell has compiled a list of resources for accounting firms here.
Russell also serves as outside general counsel to a variety of privately held companies that average between $20 million and $500 million in sales.
After serving more than a decade as the head of LP’s Corporate & Securities practice, Russell is now serving as Chair of the firm’s Transactional Practice Area.
Accounting Firm Resources:
- 2023 Accounting Firm Industry Insider Series. Click here to listen to a conversation with Practice Management and M & A Expert.
- Accounting Firm Industry Insider Series. Click here to listen to a conversation with Practice Management and M & A Expert.
- Levenfeld Pearlstein knows accounting firms. Click here to view our collection of resources for accounting firms and the people who run them.
- Inside Public Accounting Newsletter All in Agreement: Best Practices for Keeping Partner Agreements Current and Relevant
+1 312 476 7560
Education & Admissions
- University of Pennsylvania Law School, J.D.
- University of Illinois, B.S., with highest honors, Accounting
- Spertus Institute Trustee, Executive Committee
- Chicago Bar Association - Corporation and Business Law Committee
- American Bar Association - Corporate Law Section
- Cara, Executive Council
- Named Among 100 Most Influential People in Accounting by Accounting Today, 2017-2018
- Leading Lawyer, Leading Lawyers Network
- Illinois Super Lawyer - 2005, 2006, 2007, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013
- AV Rated - Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review
What was the best piece of advice you have ever received?
Life has setbacks - you have to keep moving forward.
What is your favorite quote?
“The days are long, but the years are short.” I think about this in regards to my children and try to enjoy them even though some days are long.
What is the most interesting part of your job?
When there is a new problem that I have not seen before and I have to figure it out.
- Russell works with Accounting firms, Middle Market Private Equity, family owned businesses, and more.
“What Russ does is, if a couple weeks go by and we don’t talk, he is always checking in. There is no legal reason. It is about the personal relationship. He asks how I’m doing, and I usually give him a business answer. He says, “That’s cool, but how are you outside the business?” He is good that way.”
August 30, 2023
When Are Earnouts Treated as Compensation? A Seller’s Perspective in Professional Service Firm DealsRead More
August 30, 2023
2023 Accounting Firm Industry Insider Series: Key Takeaways from In-Depth Conversations with Managing Partners (Part 2)Read More
August 23, 2023
2023 Accounting Firm Industry Insider Series: Key Takeaways from In-Depth Conversations with Managing Partners (Part 1)Read More
February 08, 2023
Accounting Firm Industry Insider Series: A Follow-Up Conversation with Practice Management and M&A Expert Allan KoltinRead More
August 31, 2022
Does your Goodwill Go Home at Night? The Sale of Personal Goodwill Offers Considerable Tax Planning Opportunities for Closely-Held CorporationsRead More
June 01, 2022
How to Handle Retirement Provisions in Accounting Firm Partnership AgreementsRead More
June 01, 2022
Including Restrictive Covenants in your Accounting Firm Partnership AgreementRead More
February 22, 2022
Talent Shortages, Technology, and M&A: Accounting Firm Managing Partners and Industry Experts Share Their Thoughts on Key Issues the Industry is FacingRead More
July 28, 2021
8 Key Components of Accounting Firm Partnership Agreements – and Other Special ConsiderationsRead More
July 14, 2021
Accounting Firm Industry Insider Series: A Conversation with Practice Management and M&A Expert Allan KoltinRead More
April 28, 2021
Insurance Issues Impacting Accounting Firms: A Conversation With David Koenen, Managing Principal Of Lemme, A Division Of Epic Insurance Brokers & ConsultantsRead More
February 24, 2021