Michael J. Tuchman
After more than 38 years with the Levenfeld firm, Michael Tuchman now serves as of counsel to the firm’s Corporate, Real Estate, and Tax practices. Michael structures and closes complex and tax-sensitive transactions and builds organizational structures for U.S. and international operating, investment, and real estate companies. Michael began his career as a tax lawyer and is now a trusted advisor to numerous businesses and investors. He is an experienced and pragmatic negotiator.
Michael’s areas of concentration include:
- Real Estate Joint Ventures
- US and International Taxation
- Real Estate Fund Formations and Private Placements
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- 1031 Exchanges, TIC and DST Programs
- Restructurings and Recapitalizations
- Employee Equity Participation Programs
+1 312 476 7550
Education & Admissions
- Northern Illinois University, B.S., summa cum laude
- University of Illinois College of Law, J.D.
- Certified Public Accountant
- United States Tax Court
- U.S Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit
- Leading Lawyers Network
- The Best Lawyers in America, 2008-2022
- Ranked in Chambers USA, 2014-2016
- Adjunct Faculty Member: John Marshall Law School (1992 - 2014)
- Illinois Super Lawyer - 2006-2014
- Named in "Top 100" of Illinois Super Lawyers, 2011
- AV Rated, Martindale-Hubbell (Peer review rating: AV Preeminent 5.0 out of 5)
- Leading Lawyer, Leading Lawyers Network
What was your first job?
I was a busboy at a restaurant in the northern suburbs called Chances R. I worked that job for all four years of high school.
What’s the best piece of advice you ever received?
It was from my late client, Bill Alter. At the end of a planning session, he declared that he wasn’t paying his advisors for the solutions to all of his problems, but rather for the flexibility in which to maneuver. Bill taught me that what clients value most is building in flexibility to accomplish objectives rather than just prescribing the manner in which those objectives should be accomplished. A map, instead of a list of right turns and left turns.