Harold D. Israel
Harold D. Israel is a partner in the Financial Services & Restructuring Practice Group. He assists clients in achieving outstanding results in a practical, responsive and cost-effective manner. Harold represents debtors, asset purchasers, secured lenders, creditors and official creditor committees in workouts (in- and out-of-court) and reorganizations throughout the country. Harold brings compassion and understanding to what usually is a very stressful period for all involved.
Additionally, he represents lenders and equity sponsors in asset-based lending, foreclosure, and debtor-in-possession financing transactions. Harold also assists not-for-profit organizations in drafting corporate governance documents.
Now with 25 years of experience, Harold first started his legal career as a law clerk to the Honorable John D. Schwartz, Chief Judge, United States Bankruptcy Court for the Northern District of Illinois. He is a Certified Public Accountant.
Harold is the Chair of the Governance Committee at the Spertus Institute for Jewish Learning and Leadership, a past Chair of the Chicago Bar Association’s Bankruptcy and Reorganization Committee and is a past president of the Chicago/Midwest Chapter of the Turnaround Management Association and Temple Beth-El in Northbrook, Illinois.
+1 312 476 7573
Education & Admissions
- University of Illinois, J.D., magna cum laude
- University of Michigan, B.B.A.
- State of Michigan, C.P.A.
- Turnaround Management Association
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- Chicago Bar Association
- Spertus Institute for Jewish Learning & Leadership, Executive Committee
- Chicago Chapter of Credit Abuse Resistance Education (CARE), Chair
- University of Illinois Hillel, Board of Directors
- Temple Beth-El, Board of Directors
- Ranked in Chambers USA, 2022
- The Best Lawyers in America, 2013-2022
- TMA Chicago/Midwest Chapter, Outstanding Service Award, 2019
- TMA Global, Outstanding Individual Contribution Award, 2019
- Chambers Rated Practitioner, 2018
- Illinois Super Lawyer, 2007, 2010, 2019-2021
- Chambers Recognized Practitioner, 2017
- AV Preeminent® peer review rating, 2013-2019
- Top Rated Lawyer in Corporate Restructuring and Bankruptcy, 2013
What’s your favorite quote?
“Attack each day with an enthusiasm unknown to mankind.” It is amazing what people can accomplish by working hard with a positive attitude.
What’s one thing someone would be surprised to know about you?
I worked for a ticket reseller (long before the days of StubHub) during my first two years of college.
What was your very first job?
First delivering newspapers and then a busboy and a waiter at a delicatessen. Both taught me lifelong lessons about the importance of customer service and working with all kinds of people.
“I am always impressed with Harold’s understanding of commercial law and the bankruptcy code. In addition to his vast technical knowledge, he is very creative in problem solving and effective in negotiations with difficult creditors.” - Tina L. Hughes, CTP, Managing Director at High Ridge Partners