Lauren J. Wolven
Lauren Wolven is a partner in the Trusts & Estates Group, a member of the firm's Executive Committee, and chair of the firm's Professional Development Committee. She concentrates her practice on estate planning, representing corporate fiduciaries, tax and succession planning for privately held businesses, and trust and estate administration and litigation. In addition, Lauren works extensively with foundations and other charitable organizations with respect to administration, tax and planning issues.
Lauren is a Fellow of the estate planning organization, the American College of Trust and Estate Counsel (ACTEC), where she is also a Regent and the State Chair for Illinois. ACTEC membership is based on professional reputation, expertise in the fields of trusts and estates and on the basis of having made substantial contributions to these fields through lecturing, writing, teaching, and bar activities.
A frequent lecturer and author on a variety of estate planning and trust administration topics, Lauren is the co-author of two BNA portfolios, "Estate Planning for Unmarried Adults" and "Managing Litigation Risks of Fiduciaries," part of BNA's Tax Management Portfolio series. Her speaking engagements have included presentations for the nation’s largest estate planning seminar, the Heckerling Institute on Estate Planning.
Lauren is past president and director of the Chicago Estate Planning Council. She is a past Board Member of the Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education and served several terms on the Executive Committee of the Chicago Bar Association Trust Law Committee. Lauren was named by Law Bulletin Publishing Company as one of its "40 Under 40" in 2010; was selected for inclusion in Best Lawyers from 2012 through 2022; and was recognized as an Illinois Super Lawyer 2014 through 2021. Since 2015, Lauren has been named by Super Lawyers as one of the Top 50 Women Attorneys in Illinois. Lauren has been recognized individually in Chambers High Net Worth Guide since 2015, with references noting that she is a “national name and a star in the legal community."
Outside the office, Lauren is an active member of the community, working actively with the Arthritis Foundation, and heading up team Sleigh RA for the Jingle Bell Run. In the past, she has served on the Planned Giving Advisory Committee of the Shedd Aquarium, and from 2011 through 2014 as Membership Co-Chair of Oak Park Temple B’Nai Abraham Zion.
+1 312 476 7574
Education & Admissions
- Indiana University, B.A.
- Universidad Iberoamericana, Mexico
- Universidad de Sevilla, Spain
- University of Illinois, J.D.
- American College of Trust and Estate Counsel, Fellow
- American Heart Association, Greater Midwest Affiliate, Heart Ball Auction Committee Chair, 2009
- Chicago Bar Association, Trust Law Executive Committee, 2002-2008
- Chicago Estate Planning Council, Board of Directors
- Gannon Center for Women and Leadership at Loyola University, Advisory Council Member, 2007-2008
- Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education, Board of Directors, 2007-2011
- Oak Park Temple B'Nai Abraham Zion, Membership Co-Chair, 2011-2014
- The Best Lawyers in America, 2012-2024
- Illinois Super Lawyers, 2014-2023
- Ranked in Chambers USA and HNW 2015-2023
- Crain's 2021 Notable Gen X Leader in Law
- Top 50: Women Illinois Super Lawyers, 2015-2018
- Top 100: 2016, 2018 Illinois Super Lawyers
- IICLE Distinguished Service Award, 2012
- Illinois Rising Star, Super Lawyers, 2010-2013
- 40 Illinois Attorneys Under 40 to Watch, Chicago Lawyer, 2010
- American College of Trust and Estate Counsel, Fellow
What are the top attributes of your best clients?
My best clients are the ones who are looking for a partner instead of a service provider. They are open and honest with me, even if it is painful or difficult, allowing me to help them get to a better solution.
What is your favorite quote?
“Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, except backwards and in high heels.” As a woman business owner, I have faced my share of challenges, both gender-related and not. It is great to be at LP, where my partners recognize those challenges, support me and the many women attorneys at LP, and support our efforts to spotlight our clients who are business owners as well.
What is the best compliment you ever received from a client?
It’s hard to choose. One was “Your Spanish is excellent.” It was one of my first Spanish-speaking clients and I was a bit rusty. I speak Spanish much more frequently now with clients, thanks to that compliment.
- Lauren typically works with high net worth clients, charitable organizations, corporate fiduciaries, owners of middle market businesses.
“She brings a lot of energy and creativity to client solutions. She’s a very good listener and is very forthright in a very constructive and positive way.” - Chambers 2017 High Net Worth Guide
July 20, 2023
Chambers High Net Worth Guide Ranks LP Trusts & Estates Group Among Best in Illinois for Eighth Straight YearRead More
November 09, 2022
What Happens If You Die While Going Through a Divorce? Lauren Wolven Explains It All on the “How Not to Suck at Divorce” PodcastRead More
November 19, 2021
Crain’s Chicago Business Recognizes Three LP Partners – Jeffery Hoffenberg, David Solomon and Lauren Wolven – Among 2021 Gen X Leaders in the LawRead More
October 25, 2021
Lauren Wolven to Present at the Jewish Federation of Metropolitan Chicago’s 49th Annual Louis Susman Memorial Tax SeminarRead More
September 21, 2021
Offering a Seamless Continuity of Client Experience Through Firm Succession Planning, Levenfeld Pearlstein Names Jeffery Hoffenberg, David Solomon and Lauren Wolven to its Executive CommitteeRead More
September 15, 2021
Reminders and Recommendations on How to Use Boilerplate Language Thoughtfully and IntentionallyRead More
May 25, 2021
Lauren Wolven to Present at the Minnesota CLE 2021 Probate & Trust Law Section ConferenceRead More
April 09, 2020