Jared R. Cloud
Jared R. Cloud is a partner in the Trusts & Estates Group. He represents clients in estate, trust, and family business disputes in all phases of litigation through trial and appeal, as well as in negotiation, mediation, and arbitration.
His trust and estate litigation experience includes representing fiduciaries and beneficiaries in disputes involving will and trust construction, contested accountings, trust reformation, probate claims, and breach of fiduciary duty. He also represents clients in family business disputes, including leadership succession conflicts, separation of interests, buyouts of minority stakeholders, derivative actions, and partnership accountings.
Jared is a Fellow with the American College of Trust and Estate Counsel (ACTEC) and a member of ACTEC’s Fiduciary Litigation Committee. ACTEC membership is based on professional reputation, expertise in the fields of trusts and estates, and on the basis of having made substantial contributions to these fields through lecturing, writing, teaching, and bar activities. He is active in a number of bar organizations, and has served as Chair of the Executive Committee of the Chicago Bar Association’s Trust Law Committee.
Jared has spoken on estate and trust litigation topics for groups including the ACTEC Fiduciary Litigation Committee, the American Law Institute, the American Bankers Association, the Illinois State Bar Association, the Chicago Bar Association, and the Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education.
He is currently a member of the Advisory Board of Chicago Volunteer Legal Services Foundation.
Prior to joining LP, Jared was a partner with McDermott Will & Emery and previously Winston & Strawn. He earned his J.D., with honors, from University of Chicago Law School and his B.A. from University of Chicago.
Jared has been recognized individually in Chambers High Net Worth Guide for being “thorough and remarkably creative from a litigation strategic viewpoint.”
+1 312 476 7535
Education & Admissions
- University of Chicago Law School, J.D.
- University of North Carolina Law School
- University of Chicago, B.A.
- United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- United States District Court for the Central District of Illinois
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois (Trial Bar)
- American Bar Association
- American College of Trust and Estate Counsel, Fellow
- Chicago Estate Planning Council
- Chicago Bar Association
- Illinois State Bar Association
- The Best Lawyers in America 2020-2023, Trusts and Estates
- Illinois Super Lawyers, Estate and Trust Litigation 2012-2022, Rising Star 2008-2009
- 2013 Award for Excellence in Pro Bono and Public Interest Service, Northern District of Illinois and Federal Bar Association
- Ranked in Chambers High Net Worth Guide 2022
What’s your favorite quote?
“You can go wrong by being too skeptical as readily as by being too trusting.” (Robert A. Heinlein)
What’s the most productive day of the week?
Friday, because that’s when I review my calendars and to-do lists to prepare for the coming week.
What’s your favorite vacation spot?
Dewey Beach, Delaware. My wife, children, and I spent one or two weeks there almost every summer for 15 years while our kids were growing up.
What was your very first job?
Working the grill and fryer at a Burger King in Brooklyn.