Jack R. O’Connor
Jack O’Connor is a partner in the firm’s Financial Services & Restructuring Group. His practice focuses on commercial restructuring, insolvency, bankruptcy, and debtor representations in and out of court. He represents companies in distress, as well as creditors’ and equity committees in cases across the country, including all phases of chapter 11 reorganizations, sales, and liquidations, as well as fiduciaries administering and disposing of distressed assets.
Jack also has experience providing commercial real estate counsel in healthy and distressed situations, advising landlords, tenants, and owners in complex restructuring engagements.
A trusted advisor, Jack provides strategic advice to clients that combines his attention to detail with the ability to maintain focus on the big picture. He has worked with clients across a wide array of industries, including consumer goods, senior living and continuing care retirement communities (CCRCs), healthcare, dine-cinema operations, IT management consulting, food and beverage, cannabis, hotels and franchises, trucking, and retail.
Jack earned his J.D., magna cum laude, from the University of Illinois Chicago School of Law (formerly the John Marshall Law School) and his B.A. from the University of Iowa. Prior to joining LP, he was a partner with Sugar Felsenthal Grais & Helsinger LLP.
Jack serves as the 2024 President of the Chicago/Midwest Chapter of the Turnaround Management Association and is an active member of the restructuring bar, holding leadership positions with TMA at the global level and with the American Bankruptcy Institute. He previously served as a member of the Young Professionals Board for Illinois Legal Aid Online (ILAO).
+1 312 476 7691
Education & Admissions
- University of Illinois Chicago School of Law (formerly The John Marshall Law School), J.D., magna cum laude
- University of Iowa, B.A.
- Turnaround Management Association – Chicago/Midwest Chapter President 2024
- Turnaround Management Association – Global Board of Trustees 2022
- American Bankruptcy Institute - Young & New Members Committee - Newsletter 2022-23
- American Bankruptcy Institute - Young & New Members Committee - Special Projects Leader 2020-22
- Illinois Super Lawyers, Rising Star 2013-2023
- Turnaround Management Association Chicago/Midwest Chapter Emerging Leader Award Recipient 2018
- Leading Lawyers “Emerging Lawyer” 2017-21
What’s your favorite quote ?
Stop trying to be liked by everybody. You don’t even like everybody.
What is the most interesting part of your job?
Learning the ins and outs of my clients’ industries from them directly. Listening to and working with business owners and operators is the best way to understand their goals, and how we can realize them together.
What’s your guilty pleasure?
Chocolate chip cookies and peanut butter m&ms.
May 10, 2023