Elizabeth C. O’Brien
Partner in and Leader of Real Estate
Elizabeth is a partner in and leader of the Real Estate Practice Group. She has extensive experience in all aspects of commercial real estate, including the acquisition, disposition, development and leasing of multifamily, mixed-use, office, retail, and industrial property. She has counseled local and national developers on contract drafting and negotiation, construction matters, financing, leasing, deal structuring and joint ventures. Elizabeth has represented both borrowers and nationally recognized financial institutions in commercial lending transactions, including the drafting and negotiation of loan documentation for commercial real estate, construction, securitized, and C&I loans, including collateral pledge agreements, and third-party guaranties. Elizabeth also does condominium deconversions, deal structuring involving Delaware statutory trusts, and restructuring of distressed real estate.
When it comes to working on real estate transactions Elizabeth enjoys the sense of being part of something bigger, whether it is the deal that marks the beginning or the end of an era for a client or the development of a grocery-anchored shopping center in a food desert that is bringing job opportunities to the community. She enjoys being a part of a client's journey and is constantly inspired by her clients' energy and ideas.
Prior to joining Levenfeld Pearlstein, she practiced at Stahl Cowen Crowley Addis where she handled real estate and corporate transactions. She is a graduate of the Loyola University of Chicago School of Law and is a Board Member of the Friends of the Chicago River, a member of the Board of Directors of the Harold E. Eisenberg Foundation, and an active member of Catholic Charities of Chicago.
+1 312 476 7587
Education & Admissions
- Loyola University of Chicago School of Law, J.D.
- University of Illinois at Chicago, B.A. of Economics and Biology
- Catholic Charities
- CREW Chicago
- Friends of the Chicago River, Board Member (2020-2023)
- Greater Chicago Food Depository, Awards Dinner Steering Committee
- Harold E. Eisenberg Foundation, Former Board Member (Dinner co-chair 2018, 2019)
- The Best Lawyers in America, 2019-2024
- Notable Women Lawyers, Crain’s Chicago Business, 2022
- Illinois Super Lawyers, 2024, Rising Star, 2017-2018
- Leading Lawyer, Leading Lawyers Network
- Emerging Lawyer, Leading Lawyers Network, 2015-2017
- 40 Illinois Attorneys Under Forty to Watch, Law Bulletin Publishing Company, 2017
What are the top three attributes of your best clients?
Innovative, fearless, good sense of humor.
What’s your favorite quote?
“Work until you no longer have to introduce yourself.” - Harvey Specter
What was your very first job?
I was a telemarketer for a nationally recognized insurance company, making cold calls straight from a page ripped out of a phone book. It was the first and worst job I’ve ever had.
“One of the many reasons I consider Elizabeth a cut above the rest is she never loses sight of the deal. She wants to get the client to the finish line.” - Timothy Keenan
September 02, 2022