Michael St. Peter
Michael St. Peter is a partner in the firm's Corporate Group. He works primarily with private companies, entrepreneurs and sophisticated investors to help them structure and close complex business transactions. He also serves as outside general counsel to a number of middle-market businesses.
Michael also represents real estate investors and developers in structuring real estate joint ventures and real estate funds. Michael’s experience with both the real estate and corporate elements of these transactions provides him with critical insight into the “big picture” of a real estate transaction, including issues involving corporate and tax structuring, securities regulation, employee incentive plans and estate planning.
Michael works to achieve his clients’ business objectives through a combination of pragmatism, knowledge of the market and clear communication. His large law-firm experience and straight-forward approach to addressing business challenges have earned him praise from sophisticated clients who value an experienced and practical business advisor.
Areas of concentration include:
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Capital Raises and Private Placements
- Restructurings and Recapitalizations
- Real Estate Joint Ventures
- Real Estate Fund Formations
- Employee Equity Incentive Programs
- Executive Employment Arrangements
Representative clients include:
- Middle Market Companies
- Sophisticated Entrepreneurs
- Private Equity Sponsors
- Real Estate Investors and Developers
- Family Offices
+1 312 476 7508
Education & Admissions
- University of Michigan Law School, J.D., cum laude
- University of Wisconsin at Madison, B.A.
- New York (inactive)
- Associate Board Member, Greater Chicago Food Depository
- Illinois "40 Under 40," Law Bulletin Publishing Company - 2014
- Illinois Super Lawyers Rising Star - 2010-2012
What are the top three attributes of your best clients?
1. They are good people 2. They treat others with respect and adhere to the highest ethical standards. 3. They value a long-term partnership with their advisors.
What is the most interesting part of your job?
I get to work with entrepreneurs and investors who build businesses, create jobs and strengthen communities.
What is your favorite vacation spot?
The Northwoods of Wisconsin
“Michael St. Peter has a different point of view on some things, which is helpful. It’s not just legal. It’s kind of legal, financial, business sense, all in one. He really understands what it is you’re trying to accomplish and then guides you through the different ways of getting there, which aren’t always strictly legal solutions, which is helpful.”