James Brusslan Becomes One of the Only Illinois Attorneys Accredited By U.S. Green Building Council
April 3, 2008
CHICAGO – Levenfeld Pearlstein LLC is pleased to announce that James D. Brusslan, head of the firm’s Environmental Law Service Group, has become one of the only practicing Illinois attorneys accredited by the U.S. Green Building Council as a LEED AP (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design Accredited Professional). The U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC) is a not-for-profit organization dedicated to expanding environmentally friendly practices and education in the U.S. through the LEED Certification of sustainable businesses and commercial buildings, homes, hospitals, schools, and neighborhoods.
LEED Professional Accreditation distinguishes building professionals with the knowledge and skills to successfully steward the LEED Certification process. LEED APs demonstrate a thorough understanding of green building practices and principles and the LEED Green Building Rating System. The LEED AP credential represents a working knowledge of the LEED Rating System and its application in practice, enabling accredited professionals to facilitate the integrated design process and streamline the LEED Certification process. More than 46,000 building professionals worldwide, from across all areas of practice have become LEED APs since the Professional Accreditation program was launched in 2001.
Mr. Brusslan has more than 20 years of experience representing corporate clients, government bodies and citizens in complex environmental litigation and counseling matters. Earlier in his career, Mr. Brusslan worked as an attorney with the United States Environmental Protection Agency.
He has extensive knowledge regarding climate change and recently visited Greenland to observe global warming firsthand. Mr. Brusslan also spearheaded Levenfeld Pearlstein’s efforts to become the first Chicago-based law firm to join the Chicago Climate Exchange, in which the firm committed to calculate and offset its carbon dioxide emissions. In addition, Mr. Brusslan led the firm's efforts to become the first law firm in the United States to adopt the American Bar Association’s Model Sustainability Policy and Implementation Guidelines.
“James’ accreditation as one of the few LEED AP attorneys in Illinois further strengthens Levenfeld Pearlstein’s position as an environmental leader in both the Chicago legal community and nationally,” said Bryan I. Schwartz, the firm’s chairman. “His considerable legal skill in the area of environmental law, combined with his LEED AP accreditation, will also provide tremendous value to our existing and future clients in the area of real estate development.”
In addition to its membership in the Chicago Climate Exchange and adoption of the ABA’s guidelines, Levenfeld Pearlstein has established an Environmental Task Force, headed by Mr. Brusslan, which meets periodically to discuss and implement environmentally friendly firm policies and practices. These include:
- Mandatory paper recycling and use of paper from sustainable forests
- A firm requirement to turn off lights in conference rooms and offices when not in use, and placards on the walls explaining the policy
- A policy to avoid excess paper use or use disposable cups. The firm has provided each employee with coffee cups stating “Levenfeld Pearlstein, Always Thinking Green”
- No longer supplying bottled water for employees
- Providing fluorescent light bulbs to each employee to encourage them to think about steps they can take at home to conserve electricity and demonstrate how easy it is to reduce their carbon footprint without impacting their lives
- Using an email trailer on all outgoing correspondence stating “Levenfeld Pearlstein is committed to our environment. Please join us and consider not printing this email unless necessary.”
- Encouraging employees to utilize a “Five-Point Environmental Pledge,” sponsored by the City of Chicago, in their everyday lives. The pledge outlines simple measures that each employee can take to conserve resources and reduce waste
- Encouraging its real estate clients to employ green building techniques
About Levenfeld Pearlstein, LLC: Founded in 1999, Levenfeld Pearlstein, LLC (lp.productiveedge.com) provides outstanding legal counsel and business advice to sophisticated clients in matters involving corporate and securities law, real estate, and litigation. With more than 75 attorneys and offices in Chicago and Northbrook, Ill., the firm possesses the resources and depth to manage the most complex matters, while ensuring that the needs of all clients are met in the most efficient and cost-effective manner possible.